Monday, April 27, 2009

Disability Studies as homosocial?

I remember critical legal studies scholar Prof. Margaret Thorton discussing homosociality, the notion that people were attracted to their own kind. Of course she was refering to ways that women were excluded from significant positions in law.  I was thinking about this recently and how it may apply to different trajectories of disability studies. We often find that in the main, U.S., authors mainly  cite from the pool of other U.S., scholars (and certain ones at that) and may dip outside into U.K. scholars. Similarly, U.K. scholars only seem congnisant of a particular frame. Of course I am making a generalisation, but I think my broad brush on this is fairly accurate. I'm often told that people cannot access materials from 'elsewhere'. 'Elsewhere' is a interesting place! Yes, sometimes obscure journals don't make the internation trail. But I am not convinced. As a global south scholar I am alway always obliged to engage in the perenial task of getting my head around all the literature in a specific area. Isn't that what we encourage our students to do? The reference point/benchmark is the USA/UK. The journal refereeing almost promotes this hegemony by insisting on certain citations. Imagine doing D/S research without mentioning C.B., T.S.,  R.T., D.M - to name a few. 

When I was in Sri Lanka I worked with academics to get their work published in local languages and also in international journals in English. We may ask if we are truly global - are we prepared to search out work from the antipodes, to make that effort?  So here's the challenge. There is really good stuff coming from the global south, in particular NZ and OZ - some work is more known than some. I am not mentioning other countries because I am not as familar with the work. Hence I have asked 'friends' of mine in Japan and other places to be contributors on this blog. Our early career researchers are doing exciting stuff. Most people are working in isolation. Here's my suggestion and I've made it be before. Let's us start a global south D/S research clearinghouse with a thematic database of global south authors.  This will highlight stuff that maybe new to us and promote different perspective and assist in drawing from a greater pool of work. Such a clearhouse may facilitate interesting research partnerships. What do you think? Any takers to get this going? Maybe it could be commenced as a student project?

2 comments:

  1. I think, it's a great idea. I'd set up a site at: http://abilitynow.hostcell.net/ but haven't had the time to update it, I'd, for example, like to post more India-related news item at the site. -- Tanmoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanmoy, hello again... If you want to become a regular contributor to this blog let me know. It would be good to bring together the Indian 'critical' literature as opposed to the fairly stale stuff.

    ReplyDelete